Saturday, May 26, 2012

Quilting on a longarm in Salt lake City

think pink by nanotchka
think pink, a photo by nanotchka on Flickr.

A rainy memorial day week end has given me the opportunity to do a little WIP work for a few days. I have had this queen size quilt made with some ugly stash vintage fabrics all pieced and quilted for awhile. The quilt just wasn't doing anything for me. After returning from New York City where I experienced an inspiring quilt lecture and trunk show at the American Craft and folk museum on 66th Street I had been thinking of using this simple pieced quilt as a canvas for something more exciting. I guess it was because of the touch of pink in some of the blocks that brought visions of flamingos into my head. Although I toyed with other ideas....the flamingos just wouldn't go away. I am definitely not an artist and I don't often feel inclined to even attempt to draw anything let along a pair of flamingos but I couldn't find anything that I liked on the internet...a few close but no prize possibilites. In frustration I finally pinned a few sheets of tissue paper together and began to sketch. This pair was the finished result. Now it's time to put it back onto the longarm and do a little thread painting. I'll let you see it again when it is all finished and bound. I think I'll take it to Liberty Park for it's final photo session. They need to be close to a little water and maybe a few fountains! Have a good holiday week end!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so stunning Nanette, you did a great job on the Flamingos for not being an artist. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete